Top Banner

Two In The Shirt

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Top 10 Reasons We all hate Duke!!

Yo SL here and i did a little research on why theres such natural hatred for Duke and here is top 10 reasons why.. holla at me AL (oh ya last time I checked Unc was still in the tourney and if you want tune into the game 920 your time as they get ready to take down arkansas hey maybe you can even watch it with some of the duke players, it'll be good for them cuz they can watch and learn how basketball is really played)..


10. The name Blue Devils: Not because of the fact that it is anti-religious, but because they are named after a the French fighting batallion "les Diables Bleus", and no one likes the French. This actually proves my point that the hatred of Duke has nothing to do with their success, because the French Army always loses.


9. Coach Krzyzewski: For so many reasons. First of all he looks like a rat, and having to watch him pace the sidelines and whine, bitch, and moan while just thinking he's looking for cheese or picturing his head stuck in a mouse-trap. Also Look at his last name, now I don't see how his name is Chi-Chef-ski. His name is Kriz-iz-ooski, doesn't that make more sense.


8. Dick Vitale: Not Dick Vitale as a person, because, though he can be a little abrasive at times, he's good at his job. Except when he's doing Duke games, and he always seems like he's doing Duke games. It's one thing to have a gently hidden bias when doing commentary.


7. The Cameron Crazies: I am all about rooting for your team, I'm the guy who refuses to sit down, and althouh I'm not personally a fan of the jumping, I'm all for spirit. With that said the Cameron Crazies are ridiculous. As in this SI Article from a couple years ago "Taunts such as 'Safety school!' (toward Wake Forest) and 'We're smart! You're dumb!' (at UNC) that play off Duke's academic standards continue to anger not only opponents but also many among the 4,000-plus students who don't attend games.


6. Cameron Crazies Cheer Sheets: Even worse than just their holier than thou attitude are their obnoxious cheers. According to one cheer sheet, "DON’T hesitate to uphold the tradition of the Cameron Crazies. There’s a reason people all over this fine country hate us, and it’s because we’re clever, ruthless, and persistent fans. Let’s make that especially true this year. Yell loud and stay loud."


5. Calls: They get all the calls for whatever reason the refs are afraid to call anything against Duke. Yet they complain on how the duke killer a.ka Mr. Hansborough gets all the calls against them. They are known as Duke the elite program and the refs cant blow the whistle because its Duke.


4. Flops: To go along with the calls, and as I'm sure you all know the flops. I could post videos of their flops but I don't think blogger has the space available to host them all. Here's the most obvious of recent Greg Paulus flops but just search for Greg Pauaus on youtube or google, all you get is video and pictures of him flopping. It's nothing new, they've been doing it for years, and all I can picture is Coach K with a piece of cheese.


3. Media: Duke is shoved down our throats whether die-hard or casual observers of the game from October through April. There is a media bias the likes of which have never been seen before, for some reason everyone, with a microphone, loves Duke. It's not just Vitale.


2. The Cheap plays: Beyond just the dives and flops and no calls, Duke is cheap, always have been. Skip forward to about 26 second of this clip for the best angle. That was during the '06-'07 season. Yeah, he was definately going after the ball. The year before that clip, in the '05-'06 we saw this happen at right. Wow, it appears that North Carolina's top player has some trouble avoiding Duke players swinging at his head. It wouldn't be, say because Coach K tells them to try to injure the other team's top player. A man of his caliber would never try to instill values like that. Wait, it's the same guy who teaches flops and berates refs until calls go his way right?


1. The Number One Reason: Former Duke player, current NBA Star Elton Brand said it best "Thank you very much, for reminding me of the reason why I left Duke. Peolple like you cannot and willnot (sic) ever understand my situation. I'm sure daddy worked very hard to send your rich self to college. While real people struggle. I would also like to extend an invitation for you not to waste your or my time ever again. Never being considered a part of your posh group of yuppies really hurts me to the heart. Yea Right because I don't care about you or your alumni."


Go get em Elton

2 comments:

A Town of K Town said...

First of all, this is the first time I've heard that people hate Duke. If anything, I would think people would hate UNC for having such a stacked team. They are the Yankees of college basketball. If Jordan didn't go to that school, their recruiting would probably be shit. I'm imagining people go there, because they probably get all the free Jordan apparel that they want.

Secondly, I would say that Coach K is hands down one of the best basketball coaches ever. For the past 2 years he has not had one superstar on his team, but continues to make the tourney, and at a high seed.

Bottom line is Duke needs to get some better recruiters out there, or at least some more black people. (I'm gonna be real with it) When is the last time they had a flashy player...ok, never. If you can't get a flashy player (and no, jason williams does not count), at least get a big man, because if you live by the 3 during the regular season, you will die buy it come tourney time.

Darkness

A Town of K Town said...

Well Darkness, it's nothing new that people hate Duke. Most polls show they are the most hated team in the country (while also one of the most loved.) And as we can see their reasons for hating Duke are very justified. Like one brought up here, our Coach has a funny name. Man, that's fucked up. Or another, a crazy bald commentator loves Duke. Well its not like we pay Dick Vitale to shout and love Duke. If anything, its ESPN who needs to keep Vitale underwraps.

Duke does get a lot of calls. I will agree to that. But its not that Duke pays the refs. Coach K knows how to work the refs. He's been doing it for a long damn time.

I know a lot of people hate Duke. Whatever. Bottom line to me is that Coach K doesnt bend the rules like a lot of other top coaches in the game. He may work the refs but he doesnt get NCAA violations. I don't hate UNC. They got a good squad and have actually been doing shit in the tournament the last few years. But in the end, I ain't switching my schools like some traitor. I sticking by my Dukies if that means I got a slow white guy at point.